The Communication & Media Studies program (CMS) focuses on communication as a fundamental and all-encompassing human activity that involves constructing and sharing of messages and various meaning making activities in our local and global contexts. The program has a strong social justice emphasis that focuses on understanding how communication practices and audiences participate in and challenge structural inequalities within and across various cultural contexts.
Consistent with the Learning Outcomes identified by the National Communication Association, students completing the Communication & Media Studies major at RWU will be able to:
• Describe the Communication discipline and its central questions
• Employ Communication theories, perspectives, principles, and concepts
• Engage in Communication inquiry
• Create messages appropriate to the audience, purpose, and context
• Critically analyze messages
• Demonstrate the ability to accomplish communicative goals (self-efficacy)
• Apply ethical communication principles and practices
• Utilize communication to embrace difference
• Influence public discourse.