Jul 14, 2024  
2018-2019 University Catalog 
2018-2019 University Catalog [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

Academic Regulations and Requirements

Academic Integrity Pledge

We, the students of Roger Williams University, commit ourselves to academic integrity. We promise to pursue the highest ideals of academic life, to challenge ourselves with the most rigorous standards, to be honest in any academic endeavor, to conduct ourselves responsibly and honorably, and to assist one another as we live and work together in mutual support.

Breaches of Academic Integrity

Roger Williams University exists to foster the mature pursuit of learning, which is premised upon the exercise of mutual trust and honest practice when representing data, findings and the sources of ideas used in an academic exercise. The University expects students to observe these principles of academic integrity that ensure the excellence of their education and the value of their diploma.

Examples of breaches of academic integrity include but are not limited to:

Cheating: Using or attempting to use unauthorized materials, information or citation in any academic exercise. Examples include, but are not limited to

  • Copying from another student on exams or assignments;
  • Altering graded exams of assignments and resubmitting them for a new grade;
  • Submitting the same paper for two classes without both instructors’ written permission.

Fabrication: Unauthorized falsifications or invention of any information or citation in any academic exercise. Examples include, but are not limited to

  • Using made-up citations in papers or other assignments;
  • Representing collaborative work as the result of individual effort;
  • Collaborating on graded assignments beyond the extent authorized by the instructor.

Plagiarism: Plagiarism is best defined as the incorporation of words and ideas of another person in an attempt to claim that person’s work as one’s own. Thus, plagiarism fails to engage in civil, scholarly discourse. It is sometimes a form of intellectual theft and is always a form of intellectual fraud.

In its worst form, plagiarism may consist of directly copying large or small portions of either printed or online works, or, as frequently happens in schools, written papers of another student, without properly crediting the source(s) from which they came. There are, however, more subtle forms of plagiarism as well. Paraphrasing, which is the process of using alternative expressions to communicate the meaning of another author’s words, is also a form of plagiarism, unless the sources of those ideas are acknowledged. Roger Williams University provides resources and advice to students to help avoid plagiarism. See How to Avoid Plagiarism (http://library.rwu.edu/howdoI/plagiarism.php) and the Cite Right Manual (www.rwu.edu/academics/centers/cad/writing/ resources/citeright.htm). Students are encouraged to consult their instructor if they have questions regarding proper documentation of sources and avoiding plagiarism. Examples of plagiarism include, but are not limited to

  • Quoting or paraphrasing someone else’s work without correct citation;
  • Copying work of another and representing it as your own;
  • Purchasing a paper, essay or other work;
  • Having someone else do your work for you.

Fraud: Altering, forging, or encouraging another person to alter or forge, official records of the institution, or assisting others in such activities. Examples of plagiarism include, but are not limited to

  • Taking an exam for someone else;
  • Changing the grade on an assignment and representing it as the original.

Willful Damage: Damaging another’s creative work or property.

Facilitating Academic Dishonesty: Assisting or aiding someone else in committing a breach of academic integrity. Examples include, but are not limited to

  • Allowing another student to copy a paper, problem set, exam or other assignment that is meant to be completed individually;
  • Taking an exam or completing an assignment for another student;
  • Obtaining a copy of an exam ahead of time for oneself or another student.

Consequences of a Breach of Academic Integrity

Civil discourse and the entire academic project depend on mutual trust among the community of scholars that is Roger Williams University. Even a minor breach of academic integrity diminishes that trust. Accordingly, the consequences of a breach of academic integrity, depending on severity, include:

  • Failure on the assignment on which the breach occurred;
  • Failure of the class in which the breach occurred;
  • Academic probation for one semester;
  • Suspension for one semester;
  • Separation (dismissal) from the Roger Williams University community.

Academic Conduct Committee

The University Academic Conduct Committee is empowered to investigate and adjudicate all cases of suspected breaches of academic integrity. This committee will also serve as the record keeper of all academic integrity breaches. The University Academic Conduct Committee may, as part of its deliberations, consider a student’s prior breaches of academic integrity on file. The University Academic Conduct Committee shall establish and publish by-laws and procedures pertaining to its own operations.

Committee Composition

The University Academic Conduct Committee shall be composed of one elected faculty representative from each school or college (including one from each CAS division), two representatives elected by the Student Senate, and one administrator (ex officio) from Academic Affairs.

Procedure for Dealing with Alleged Breaches of Academic Integrity

  1. A faculty member who suspects a breach of academic integrity shall investigate, including opportunity for the student to answer the allegation. Upon finding evidence of a breach of academic integrity, a faculty member may elect to penalize the offending student by
  • Issuing the student a formal warning
  • Failing the student on the assignment on which the breach occurred
  • Failing the student in the class in which the breach occurred
  1. The faculty member must communicate directly with the student via RWU e-mail, with copies sent to the Dean’s office of the faculty member, and to the dean of the student’s major, if different. Documentary evidence of the breach of academic integrity must also be forwarded to the dean’s office.
  2. The Dean’s office will inform the student of her/his right of appeal, along with the forms to be completed to initiate the appeal process.
  3. The Deans’ offices will forward all actions taken by faculty regarding academic integrity violations, along with all corresponding documentary evidence, to the Office of the Academic Provost, which shall serve as a clearinghouse.
  4. Students may appeal any penalty for a breach of academic integrity enforced by a faculty member to the University Academic Conduct Committee by notifying the Dean’s office, the faculty member, and the University Academic Conduct Committee in writing within 21 days of the final action of the faculty member.
  5. The University Academic Conduct Committee shall hear student appeals of faculty actions concerning academic integrity. The decision of the University Academic Conduct Committee will be communicated to the student, to the Dean, and to the faculty member in writing via RWU e-mail. Student(s) may appeal a decision of the University Academic Conduct Committee to the Office of the Provost within 21 days of the decision. The Provost’s decision is final.
  6. Upon finding recurring or particularly egregious instances of breaches of academic integrity by a student, the Office of the Provost reserves the right to levy
  • Academic probation for one semester
  • Suspension for one semester
  • Separation (dismissal) from the Roger Williams University community.

Academic Standards

Students are responsible for knowing and complying with the academic regulations of the University. Each College and School has an Academic Standards Committee that serves as the appeal committee for students requesting exceptions to academic policy. An Academic Standards Petition may be obtained from the appropriate dean’s office or at https://www.rwu.edu/academics/registrar/registrar-forms. Petitions must be completed and submitted to the dean of the school or college in which the exception is housed. In cases when a deviation to an academic requirement or regulation occurs, students may submit a Request for a Program Adjustment to the appropriate dean.

Right of Appeal

In cases where an academic regulation or requirement constitutes a hardship, students may submit an Academic Standards Petition to the appropriate dean. Any appeal is subject to review by the appropriate dean and designated Academic Affairs officer, whose decision shall be final.

Appeals must be filed no later than one semester after the semester in which the course was taken, or the event that is the basis for the appeal, occurred. Unless an appeal is filed within this period, it will not be considered.

Attendance Policy

Regular attendance in classes is expected of all students. The attendance policy for each course is described in the course syllabus and provided by the professor.

Roger Williams University welcomes and values people and their perspectives and respects the interests of all members of our community and acknowledges that sometimes absences may be necessary due to religious observances. RWU recognizes the breadth of religious observance among students, faculty, and staff, and the potential for conflict with scheduled components of the academic experience. Students are expected to review their syllabi and notify faculty as far in advance as possible of potential conflicts between course requirements and religious observances. In such an event, the instructor will provide reasonable accommodations that do not unduly disadvantage the student.

Withdrawal, Leave of Absence, Medical Leave of Absence

Changes to Student Enrollment Status

Students who wish to change their enrollment status at the University are required to adhere to the following procedures:

Withdrawal from the University

  • Students must notify the Center for Student Academic Success- Advising & Peer Mentorship Office-and complete the exit interview process.
  • Students who plan to process a withdrawal should refer to the Financial Information section of this catalog for information regarding policies governing the refund of tuition and fees.
  • Students who withdraw from the University after the last day to drop a course without a W (withdrawal) grade will be graded at the end of the semester by their professor(s).
  • The Center for Student Academic Success submits a Change of Status Form to the Registrar’s Office and notifies the appropriate offices.
  • Students who follow procedure for withdrawal and who are in good academic standing may request their reinstatement to the university through the Center for Student Academic Success. Students must submit their request for reinstatement 30 days prior to the start of the term for which they intend to enroll.

Non-Medical Leave: The application for a non-medical leave of absence must be initiated in the Center for Student Academic Success prior to the beginning of the semester. If a leave is granted, the office will notify all appropriate offices. A student on academic leave of absence may apply for a one-semester extension only prior to the start of the subsequent semester, otherwise, will be considered withdrawn from the University. Students who study away/visit out must follow the procedure for a non-medical leave.

Medical Leave: A student may apply to the Office of Student Life for a medical leave of absence from the University for one full semester. Students are limited to one medical leave of absence during matriculation at the University. Applications are due no later than December 1 for the fall semester and May 1 for the spring semester. Students must complete a medical leave of absence request form and submit a letter outlining why they are requesting the leave. The request must be supported by documentation from a health care provider. The student is expected to be in treatment while they are on leave. When requesting reinstatement, the student should complete a request for reinstatement form and submit a letter outlining how they have spent their time away preparing to return. The physician or psychologist responsible for treatment must also provide a recommendation supporting the reinstatement of the student.

When students are approved for a medical leave, they receive grades of W and are withdrawn from enrolled classes for any subsequent semester/s. Students should consult with the office of financial aid to discuss financial implications and contact their academic advisor to determine the impact on their academic program. Students are also encouraged to look into possible health insurance implications. Requests are reviewed and the student will be notified of the decision in writing. The University reserves the right to place restrictions on a student’s leave and/or reinstatement.

Administrative Withdrawal: Students who are not registered for a subsequent semester within 30 days of the last day of final exams according to the Academic Calendar will be administratively withdrawn from the University.

Students who do not follow the procedure for withdrawal must follow the reinstatement process by contacting the Center for Student Academic Success. If readmitted, they must enter under the requirements of the University Catalog for the year they re-enter unless determined otherwise by the student’s dean.

Students who leave the University on academic or non-academic probation may be considered for reinstatement; all requests require the approval of their school/college dean.

Students who follow procedure for withdrawal and who are in good academic standing may request their reinstatement through the Center for Student Academic Success. Students must initiate their reinstatement 30 days prior to the start of the term for which they intend to enroll.


All students seeking reinstatement from a Leave of Absence or Withdrawal, initiate this process through the Center for Student Academic Success 30 days prior to the start of the semester they wish to enroll. The condition of the separation will determine the process a student follows.

Withdrawal: Students, who officially withdraw from the university and wish to reinstate, are required to contact the Center for Student Academic Success. The Dean of the School or College must approve the reinstatement prior to any action being taken. This includes course selection, registration, and housing assignments.

Administrative Withdrawal: Students who failed to follow the withdrawal process resulting in an administrative withdrawal must contact the Center for Student Academic Success prior to the start of the start of the semester they wish to return, to initiate the reinstatement process. The Dean of the School or College must authorize the reinstatement prior to any action being taken.

If students are readmitted they must enter under the requirements of the University Catalog for the year, they re-enter unless determined otherwise by the students’ dean. Students are required to contact their Dean or Academic Advisor to review their academic record and receive permission to register for classes.

Medical Leave: A student returning from an approved Medical Leave must provide a recommendation from the physician or psychologist responsible for treatment supporting reinstatement to the University. Students must contact the Office of Student Life to initiate the process to return to the University.

Non-Medical Leave: A student on a non-medical leave may apply through the Center for Student Academic Success. Students who fail to initiate a return after one semester are automatically withdrawn from the University and must contact the office to subsequently return to the University. All reinstatements require a school Dean’s approval prior to selecting and enrolling for a subsequent term.

University Transcripts

The University transcript is an official document reflecting a student’s cumulative academic record. An official transcript is reproduced on colored paper stock bearing the seal of the University and is issued directly to the person or institution specified by the student. All transcripts are issued in accordance with the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974 and may not be released to a third party without the prior written consent of the student.

Transcripts noted at the point of graduation issued from Roger Williams University reflect second majors, minors, certificates and honorary distinctions and the required Service Learning experience. Transcripts requests are submitted through The National Clearing House e-transcript website, http://www.rwu.edu/about/university-offices/registrar/forms-policies-resources.

A fee of $5.00 per transcript must be remitted and all outstanding debts satisfied prior to release of the transcript.

Requests for transcripts should include dates of attendance or graduation, name at time of attendance and specific school, declared major, and student’s RWU ID number.

E-transcripts are issued within 24 hours, paper copies may take up to 5 business days; however, during certain periods, mailing of transcripts may be delayed by an additional three or four days. To avoid delays in forwarding transcripts to colleges, graduate schools, employers, and government agencies, students are advised to request transcripts well in advance of their deadlines for application, reimbursement, or incentive pay.

Undergraduate Degrees

The following undergraduate degrees are awarded by Roger Williams University:

Bachelor of Arts
Bachelor of Fine Arts (Creative Writing and Visual Arts Studies)
Bachelor of Science
Bachelor of General Studies (University College students only)

Degree Application

Students who believe they are ready to receive their degree from Roger Williams University are required to complete a formal degree application. (See Academic Calendar for specific dates). These applications are available on-line or in the Registrar’s Office. Each student is responsible for meeting all degree requirements and for ensuring that the Registrar’s Office has received all credentials. Degrees conferred reflect the graduation date that follows the student’s successful completion of all degree requirements; degrees are conferred in December, May, and August.

Participation in Commencement

Commencement ceremonies occur only in May. Students in good academic standing may participate in Commencement subject to the following conditions:

  • Students will have satisfied all graduation requirements by Commencement; or they have no more than two remaining courses including Incompletes;
  • All academic matters affecting the graduation, including incomplete grades and matters needing an Academic Standards committee decision are resolved 6 weeks prior to the May ceremony;
  • The cumulative grade-point average in the semester before graduation must be 2.0 or higher; this includes summer and winter sessions.

Graduation Requirements

Curricula leading to baccalaureate degrees are so planned that a student carrying 15 credit hours each semester will ordinarily be able to completed the requirements for graduation in four years or eight semesters. Degrees will be awarded to candidate who have fulfilled the following;

  • A minimum of 120 credits distributed according to the core curriculum requirements, the requirements of the declared major and any free electives. Satisfactory completion of all requirements for a bachelor’s degree must be under a catalog in effect within eight years of the date of graduation. The catalog used, however, may be no earlier than the catalog in effect at the time of matriculation or, in the case of a change of major, concentration or minor, no earlier than the catalog in effect when the major, concentration or minor was formally declared.
  • A minimum of 45 credit hours of the last 60 credit hours completed at Roger Williams University. Note: A maximum of 60 credits may be applied to a baccalaureate degree from a regionally accredited two-year college and a maximum of 75 credits may be applied from a regionally accredited four-year college.
  • A minimum cumulative grade point average (GPA) of 2.0 or higher and any other academic requirements of the students major as outlined by the department.

Students will not be allowed to receive their diplomas or transcripts until all financial debts to the university have been paid.

  • Conferral of a degree occurs when the registrar finalizes the students’ academic record and confirms that all requirements have been satisfied, which includes grades of ‘I’ (Incomplete). Participation in the commencement ceremony does not constitute conferral of the degree. Similarly, inclusion of a student’s name in such publications as the commencement program does not confirm eligibility for the degree.

Graduation with Honors

Academic excellence for the baccalaureate program is recognized by awarding degrees based upon at least 54 credits of study in residence:

  • summa cum laude (cumulative GPA of 3.8 or higher)
  • magna cum laude (cumulative GPA of 3.6 - 3.79)
  • cum laude (cumulative GPA of 3.4 - 3.59)

The Commencement Programs is printed prior to grades being submitted for the student’s final semester; therefore, the Registrar’s Office must print the honors designation that a student has earned up to the time of publication. The student diploma and finalized transcript, however, will reflect the official honors designation based upon the student’s final grade point average.

Change or Declare Programs

Change of Major

Students who change their major must obtain the approval from the dean of the major, and file a Major Adjustment Form (Major/Minor/Core) form with the Registrar. Note: Attention must be given to the Core Concentration restrictions and requirements whenever a student changes his or her major.

Declare a Major

All students who enter as freshman must formerly declare a major or choose the status of deciding a major. The deciding student should select a major by the end of their third semester. Students may do this by obtaining a Major Adjustment Form (Major/Minor/Core) on form on line, from the Registrar’s Office or their school dean’s office.

Declare an Interdisciplinary Individualized Major

Prior to having completed 90 credit hours, students may, with the assistance of a faculty advisor from each sponsoring area, create a major leading to a bachelor degree that draws upon courses from more than one discipline and/or college or school of the University. The student must, in consultation with faculty, formulate a course of study that constitutes a coherent major program consisting of a minimum 36 credit hours. The student and the faculty advisor must sign the proposed course of study and submit it to the appropriate Dean for review and to the Provost for final approval; all changes to an approved Interdisciplinary Individualized major require Dean review and the final approval of the Provost; subsequent changes to the approved major require review and final approval of the Provost. An Interdisciplinary Individualized major, if approved, is recorded in the Office of the Registrar and serves as the basis for the degree evaluation.

Add a Second Major

Students who pursue a second major must successfully complete the requirements of each major and must declare their second major by filing a Major Adjustment Form (Major/Minor/Core) form with the Registrar no later than the end of the third semester. One diploma will be awarded; the students’ major/s do not appear on the diploma. If one major leads to a Bachelor of Arts degree and the other a Bachelor of Science degree, the student selects either the Bachelor of Arts or the Bachelor of Science. Both majors, however, appear on the final transcript.

Add a Second Degree

Matriculating undergraduates pursuing two baccalaureate degrees (for example, a B.A. and a B.S.) must complete at least an additional 30 credits in residence and all requirements of the second major; in such cases, a second degree is recorded on the student’s transcript and dated accordingly.

Returning students pursuing an additional degree from Roger William University must have completed all requirements for the first degree and be formally approved to return in pursuit of a second degree. Non-matriculating students will be held to the catalog year in which the second degree is initiated and will complete 30 additional credits in residence. Coursework completed in the first baccalaureate degree cannot be applied to the 30 credits in residence requirement; this restriction includes converting a minor/s or core concentration into a second degree. Upon completion of all required coursework, the additional degree will be recorded on the students transcript and dated accordingly.

Add a Minor(s)

Bachelor degree candidates who choose to minor in a declared Core Concentration or in another discipline are required to do so no later than the end of the junior year by filing a Major Adjustment Form (Major/Minor/Core) form with the Registrar. Students must successfully complete all minor requirements prior to graduation.

Add or Change a Core Concentration

Students are required to declare their Core Concentration by filing the Major Adjustment Form (Major/Minor/Core) form with the Registrar no later than the end of their third semester. The major must be declared before the Core Concentration is declared.

Add a Certificate

Bachelor degree candidates who choose to add a certificate may do so by filing the Major Adjustment Form (Major/Minor/Core) form with the Registrar no later the second semester of their junior year and in advance of submitting their Degree Application.

Change Catalog Year

Students are assumed to be following requirements for the various degrees/majors/minors as printed in the University Catalog for their first enrollment term at the university. Students who wish to follow degree requirements in a subsequent catalog must have the approval of their dean and file a Major Adjustment Form (Major/Minor/Core) form with the Registrar.

Curriculum Declaration Form

The major adjustment form can be found here:


and must be used:

  • to declare a major
  • to declare a second major
  • to change a major
  • to declare a Core Concentration
  • to change a Core Concentration
  • to declare a minor
  • to declare a second minor
  • to change a minor
  • to declare a certificate
  • to change the Catalog under which they will be evaluated for graduation.

Students must file Curriculum Declaration form(s) within the time periods established.

Course Numbering

Courses at Roger Williams University are numbered as follows:

100-199 Introductory courses
200-299 Intermediate courses
300-499 Advanced courses
500-599 Fifth-year undergraduate courses; first year graduate courses
600-699 Second-year graduate courses
700-799 Third-year graduate courses

RWU Credits Awarded for Student Academic Engagement

Minutes of “Academic Engagement”
(adjusted for NEASC 50-minute hour*)
1 2,250 (37.5 hours) 45 37.5
2 4,500 (75 hours) 90 75
3 6,750 (112.5 hours) 135 112.5
4 9,000 (150 hours) 180 150
5 11,250 (187.5 hours) 225 187.5
6 13,500 (225 hours) 270 225


Guidance to Institutions and Accrediting Agencies Regarding a Credit Hour as Defined in the Final Regulations Published on October 29, 2010

An amount of work represented in intended learning outcomes and verified by evidence of student achievement that is an institutionally established equivalency that reasonably approximates not less than:

  1. One hour* of classroom or direct faculty instruction and a minimum of two hours of out-of-class student work each week for approximately fifteen weeks for one semester or trimester hour of credit, or ten to twelve weeks for one quarter hour of credit, or the equivalent amount of work over a different amount of time; or
  2. At least an equivalent amount of work as required in paragraph (1) of this definition for other academic activities as established by the institution, including laboratory work, internships, practica, studio work, and other academic work leading to the award of credit hours.

*NEASC assumes a 50 minute “hour.”


Pre registration is held for returning, degree seeking undergraduate, graduate, and joint admissions students in November for the Winter and Spring semesters, and in April for the Summer and Fall semesters. During the advising period, held two weeks prior to registration, a student meets with his/her advisor to review the student’s progress towards their meeting core curriculum requirements and specific degree requirements. A course schedule is developed, the student’s registration form is signed by the advisor, and the advisor releases the advisement hold. Note: students will not be allowed to register for classes until their advisement hold has been released by their academic advisor.

Pre-registration is available via the Web and in person. Registration Priority is based upon the student’s classification (senior, junior, sophomore, etc.) at the close of the previous semester. Prior to each registration period, course listings, specific registration dates and times, and registration instructions as well as up-to-date information concerning course openings and prerequisites are online through the MyRWU student portal. Responsibility for course selection and fulfillment of graduation requirements ultimately rests with the student.

The University reserves the right to deny admission to class to any student who has not registered or remitted full payment of tuition and fees. The University reserves the right to cancel or limit enrollment in any class and does not guarantee course registrations, assignment of instructors, locations, or meeting times.

Course Load

Full time undergraduate students must carry a course load of 12 to 17 credit hours; a typical course load is 15 credit hours. Students wishing to carry 18 credits require the approval of their academic advisor, students wishing to carry more than 18 credits must obtain the approval from their dean; students who wish to carry more than 20 credit hours are subject to additional tuition costs. Failure to carry at least 12 credit hours may jeopardize housing, financial aid status athletic eligibility and health insurance.

Students may register for one course during Winter Intersession and the 3-week Summer Session; exceptions to the winter and summer session limit require dean approval.

Course Audit

Permission must be obtained from the professor before a student registers for a course as an auditor; the extent to which auditors may participate in a course is established by the professor. Courses audited are indicated on the transcript, but credits and grades are not assigned. A Course Status form must be filed with the Registrar’s Office. A student who enrolls in a course as an auditor may elect to change to credit-bearing status and receive credit and a grade. A student who enrolls in a course for credit may elect to change to audit status. All changes must be made no later than by the last day to drop a course without the W (withdrawn) grade for the semester or session.

Course Withdrawal and Course Changes

A student may change courses or a section via the MyRWU portal up to the last day to add without instructor approval; courses dropped during the drop period are removed from the students record. Students may officially withdraw from a course by submitting an add/drop form to the Office of the Registrar, the grade of “W” is recorded; neither credit nor quality points are assigned. Students who fail to attend a course by the end of the add/drop period may be administratively withdrawn from the course; a W grade is assigned. Students should refer to the Academic Calendar for exact dates of add and withdrawal deadlines.

Note: students whose credit load falls below 12 credit hours, changes their enrollment status, which will affect scholarships, financial aid as well as rate of progress. The Office of the Bursar and the Center for Student Academic Success must validate all student change of status, before a change is submitted to the Office of the Registrar.

Transfer of Credit after Matriculation

In order to receive credit for courses taken at other accredited institutions, degree-seeking undergraduate students must obtain approval in advance. Failure to obtain this approval could result in denial of the course credit.

Transfer pre-approval forms are available on the Registrar’s web site at www.rwu.edu.registrar/forms and in the Registrar’s Office. Requests for approval of a course from another institution should be accompanied by the course description from that institutions catalog. Approval must be obtained prior to registering for the course at the other institution. It is the student’s responsibility to have official transcripts sent directly by the institution to the Registrar’s Office upon completion of the course.

Note: a minimum grade of “C” is required for credit transfer. Grades for courses taken at an institution other than Roger Williams University are not used in computing the student’s GPA. No academic credit is awarded for Internships/ COOP’s, Practicum, Directed Research, Preparatory, or remedial coursework or for courses with grades of P or S. Grades earned for course work completed at another university are not recorded and are not calculated into the GPA.

Alternatives to Classroom Study

Proposal for Alternative Study require dean’s approval and must be submitted prior to the last day to add a course without instructor permission. For intersessions, prior to the start of classes and summer sessions, the deadline is three calendar days after classes begin. Requests after the semester/session deadline require an Academic Standards Petition to extend the add date.

Independent Study

Independent Study courses provide an opportunity for individual pursuit of knowledge in an area not covered in regularly scheduled classroom courses at Roger Williams University. Independent Study courses include directed readings, thesis preparation, advanced problems, or specialized research. All independent study courses are directed by faculty and must be approved by the appropriate dean. Independent Study Petitions are available online http://www.rwu.edu/about/ university-offices/registrar/frequently-used-forms.

External Study

External study is an established course in the university catalog. External study requires the approval of the dean. Students interested in enrolling in external courses must first meet with a member of the faculty to complete an External Course Petition available on the Registrar’s website.

http://www.rwu.edu/sites/default/files/downloads/registrar/ petition_for_external_course.pdf.


Internship Practicums

The internship/practicum program is managed by the Center for Career & Professional Development and provides students the opportunity to work within and outside the University. Directed by an external supervisor and faculty sponsor, internships are oriented toward specific career and professional development goals and must be academically significant. To enroll students must be in Good Academic Standing. Assignments must be of sufficient duration, typically 135 hours, and must be considered a meaningful part of the academic program in which the student is enrolled. Students must first complete a Career Planning Seminar of 10 sessions facilitated by the Center for Career & Professional Development.

An internship/practicum experience is required by the following majors/minors: Accounting, Arts Management, Cybersecurity, Educational Studies, Graphic Design, International Business, Journalism, Management, Cyber Security and Network Security Assurance, Psychology, Public Health, Public Relations, Visual Arts and Web Development/Computer Information Studies.

The Center for Career & Professional Development supports all students who wish to participate in an internship, required or not. For additional information, visit ccpd.rwu.edu.

College Level Examination Program (CLEP)

The CLEP program applies only to students who have been out of high school for at least three years. Students must have taken the CLEP examination before matriculating at Roger Williams University. No student will receive credit for a CLEP examination if they have received credit at Roger Williams University or transferred credit to the University for an equivalent course.

Students may receive academic credit by completing the College Level Examination Program (CLEP). Examinations are offered in a wide variety of subjects and are tied closely to specific courses. In order to receive credit for CLEP exams, students need to achieve the scores recommended and published by the American Council on Education.

CLEP exams are not given at Roger Williams University. Interested students must contact CLEP, Box 6600, Princeton, NJ 08541-6600 (609) 951-1026 for dates and locations of CLEP exams.

Advanced Placement and International Baccalaureate

Roger Williams University offers course equivalencies and credits for any Advanced Placement and International Baccalaureate subject areas. Please consult the tables to determine subject areas available and minimum score requirements.

Advanced Placement

No credit is awarded for AP subscores.



Advanced Placement Exam



Course(s) Granted


AP 2-D Art and Design 4 3 VARTS.101
AP 3-D Art and Design 4 3 VARTS.231
AP Art History 3 3 AAH.121
AP Art History 4 6 AAH.121 & AAH.122
AP Drawing 4 3 VARTS.101
AP Music Theory 5 6 MUSIC.170 & MUSIC.171


AP English Language and Composition 4 3 WTNG.102
AP English Literature and Composition 4 3 ENG ELECTIVE
AP English Literature and Composition 5 3 ENG.100

History and Social Sciences

AP Comparative Government and Politics 4 3 POLSC.120
AP Human Geography 4 3 RWU ELECTIVE
AP Human Geography 5 6 RWU ELECTIVE
AP Macroeconomics 3 3 ECON.112
AP Microeconomics 3 3 ECON.111
AP Psychology 4 3 PSYCH.100
AP United States Government and Politics 4 3 POLSC.100
AP United States History 4 3 LOWER LEVEL HIST ELECTIVE
AP United States History 5 6



AP World History: Modern 4 3 HIST.100
AP World History: Modern 5 6 HIST.100 &

Math and Computer Science 

AP Calculus AB 3 4 MATH.213
AP Calculus BC 3 8 MATH.213 & MATH.214
AP Computer Science A 3 4 COMSC.110
AP Computer Science Principles 3 3 RWU ELECTIVE
AP Statistics 3 3 MATH.124


AP Biology 4 4 BIO.104
AP Biology 5 8 BIO.103 & BIO.104
AP Chemistry 4 4 CHEM.191
AP Chemistry 5 8 CHEM.191 & CHEM.192
AP Environmental Science 4 4 NATSC.103
AP Physics 1: Algebra-Based 4 4 PHYS.109
AP Physics 2: Algebra-Based 4 4 PHYS.110
AP Physics C: Electricity and Magnetism 4 4 PHYS.202
AP Physics C: Mechanics 3 4 PHYS.201

AP World Languages and Cultures 

AP Chinese Language and Culture 3 3 CHN.101
AP Chinese Language and Culture 4 6 CHN.101 & CHN.102
AP French Language and Culture 3 3 FREN.101
AP French Language and Culture 4 6 FREN.101 & FREN.102
AP German Language and Culture 3 3 GER.101
AP German Language and Culture 4 6 GER.101 & GER.102
AP Italian Language and Culture 3 3 ITAL.101
AP Italian Language and Culture 4 6 ITAL.101 & ITAL.102
AP Japanese Language and Culture 3 3 LANG.101
AP Japanese Language and Culture 4 6 LANG.101 & LANG.102
AP Latin 3 3 LAT.101
AP Latin 4 6 LAT.101 & LAT.102
AP Spanish Language and Culture 3 3 SPAN.101
AP Spanish Language and Culture 4 6 SPAN.101 & SPAN.102
AP Spanish Literature and Culture 4 6 SPAN ELECTIVE

International Baccalaureate (IB)

Credit only awarded for Higher Level (HL) courses completed. No credit awarded for Standard Level (SL) courses completed.

IB Exam Score Credits RWU Equivalent Course Core Concentration
BIOLOGY 5 or 6 4 BIO 104 BIO 104
  7 8 BIO 103 & BIO 104 BIO 103 & BIO 104
CHEMISTRY 5 or 6 4 CHEM 191 CHEM 191
  7 8 CHEM 191 & CHEM 192 CHEM 191 & CHEM 192
DANCE 5 3 DANCE 150  
ECONOMICS 5 6 ECON 111 & ECON 112 ECON 111 & ECON 112
FILM 5 3 FILM 101  
  5 6 RWU 900  
European & Islamic World 5 3 HIST 101 HIST 101
20th Cent. World History 5 3 HIST 900  
5 3 Target Language 101 Target Language 101
7 6 Target Language 101 & 102 Target Language 101 & 102
5 or 6 4 MATH 213 MATH 213
7 8 MATH 213 & MATH 214 MATH 213 & MATH 214
PHYSICS 5 or 6 4 PHYS 109  
7 8 PHYS 109 & PHYS 110  

Roger Williams University Challenge Examinations

Enrolled students who demonstrate competence in material covered by certain scheduled courses may be waived from or obtain credit for such courses by passing a “challenge” examination. Students should consult the dean of the college or school for specific information and any limitations. Challenge examinations are not offered for University Core Curriculum interdisciplinary and seminar course requirements.

Enrolled students who have paid the applicable tuition and fees for the course and can demonstrate evidence of expertise are eligible to apply for a challenge examination, which has been approved by the appropriate college or school.

Challenge examinations may not be repeated and may not be taken for the purpose of a grade replacement for previously completed courses with grades of C- or below.

A student may test out of no more than 25 percent of the courses needed for graduation. Interested and eligible students should be aware of the following:

  1. Students must complete a Challenge Examination Request form available from the secretary of the appropriate college or school.
  2. Students must pay a $50 non-refundable fee for each examination to the Bursar after approval has been obtained but before the examination date.
  3. Students must request permission during the first week of classes to take challenge exams in courses in which they are enrolled. Such examinations must be administered during the first two weeks of the semester and graded before the end of the third week of the semester.
  4. Successful completion of a challenge examination results in the listing on the student’s permanent record of the course equivalent, the notation “credit by examination,” and the amount of credit granted.

University Grading System

Grade Description Grade Points
A Excellent 4.00
A-   3.67
B+ Good 3.33
B   3.00
B-   2.67
C+ Average 2.33
C   2.00
C-   1.67
D+ Passing 1.33
D   1.00
D-   0.67
F Failure 0.00

*Incomplete grades must be completed before the end of the subsequent semester and will convert to a grade of “F” if not resolved by the deadline. Students should consult the Academic Calendar for specific deadline dates.

Grade Appeal

Any student who formally appeals a course grade must do so in writing within one semester of receiving the grade. Correspondence should be addressed to the professor and a copy sent to the dean of the college or school in which the course is offered.

A change of grade may be made if the professor and dean both approve and sign a Change-of-Grade form, which is forwarded to the Registrar. If either the professor or the dean disapproves of the change of grade, the student has the right to appeal to the college or school Academic Standards Committee within two weeks of receiving written disapproval. Students may not appeal a grade subsequent to the award date of their degree.

Incomplete Grades

An Incomplete grade (I) may be given at the discretion of the instructor. The time by which missing work must be completed is also at the discretion of the instructor; however, this time period may not extend beyond the last day of classes of the subsequent academic semester in which the incomplete was earned. If a course is not successfully completed by this deadline, the incomplete will automatically be changed to a grade of “F” (Failure).

All work must be completed prior to graduation, including resolution of any grades of incomplete. The students’ academic record is sealed on the date the degree is conferred.

Pass/No Pass Option

To encourage students to enroll in courses outside their major, and thus broaden their academic foundation, juniors and seniors may enroll in one course per semester outside their major area on a Pass/No Pass basis. Music lessons for non-majors and Student Teaching courses are graded Pass/ No Pass and are not part of this restriction. Those who pass the course receive the appropriate credit; those who fail the course receive no credit. Students who elect this option must file a Course Status form with the Registrar. A student who enrolls in a course for Pass/No Pass may elect to change to a graded status. All changes must be made no later than by the last day to drop a course without the W (withdrawn) grade for the semester or session.

Courses required for the student’s major(s), minor(s), and University Core Curriculum courses may not be taken on a P/ NP basis. Professors may not assign Pass or No Pass grades as substitutes for passing or failing grades unless the course is designated Pass/No Pass for all students or a student formally elects the Pass/No Pass option within the timeframe noted above.

Repeated Courses

A course may be repeated for credit if a grade of C- or less is received on the first attempt. If a student receives a second grade of C- or less in the repeated course, the course may be repeated only once more. The grade for the repeated course is calculated in the GPA in place of the initial grade(s) provided that the course is taken at Roger Williams University and the grade in the repeated course is higher than the previous grade(s). The previous grade(s) remains on the record, but neither the previous grade(s) nor the credits are calculated. Students who repeat courses for a higher grade must expect to do course work in the summer to ensure minimum rate of progress and timely graduation.

A grade of C- or less in a course taken at Roger Williams University may also be repeated at another institution provided that it is not one of the five Interdisciplinary CORE courses However, only the credits for a course completed with a C or better at another institution are accepted in transfer. The grade and grade points for the course are not calculated in the GPA. The previous grade remains on the record, but neither grade nor credit is calculated in the GPA.

A course may not be repeated for credit if a grade of C or higher or Pass was assigned.

Variable Content/Special Topic Courses

Students may enroll in variable content and special topics courses, provided the topic is not repeated. When the topic is repeated, rules for repeated courses apply and no credit is awarded. Re-numbered or re-titled courses are not considered as variable content/special topic courses and may not be repeated for duplicate credit.

Mid-Semester Warning Grades

Warning grades are issued for all first year students receiving C- or below in any of their classes; warning grades are issued to sophomores, juniors, seniors, and graduate students at the discretion of the course instructor. It is the student’s responsibility to meet with their academic advisor and the instructor of any course in which a warning grade is issued to discuss ways to improve the quality of their work, and seek help from all available campus resources.

Final Grades/Holds on Student Records

Holds may be placed on a student’s record for a variety of reasons, incomplete submission of required documents, outstanding balances, etc. The hold may prohibit registration, viewing of grades, obtaining transcripts or receiving a diploma, depending on the type of hold. Students may view the type of hold on their account via MyRWU student portal.

Grade-Point Average

The GPA indicates the student’s overall academic average. It is calculated on both a semester and cumulative basis. The (GPA) is calculated by dividing the total grade points obtained during the semester by the number of credits for which a student received an F or better.

Classification of Student Levels

Undergraduate students are classified according to the number of credits completed as follows:

Freshman           0 - 26 credits
Sophomore        27 - 56 cedits
Junior                 57 - 86 credits
Senior                87 and above credits

Dean’s List

Students who complete 12 or more credits per semester and earn a GPA of 3.4 or higher are placed on the Dean’s List that semester, provided they have not received any of the following grades:  F, I or NS.

Undergraduate Academic Standings

Good Standing

The University is committed to the academic success of all students. It monitors progress toward success via the Academic Good Standing requirements. To remain in Academic Good Standing students must meet both rate of progress and required cumulative grade point requirements. Failure to meet Academic Good Standing requirements will result in sanctions and interventions, including dismissal from the University, in cases of serious or repeated poor academic performance.

Minimum Rate of Progress: To meet the rate of progress requirement students must accumulate at least the minimum number of credit hours noted in the scale below. The minimum satisfactory rate of progress would necessitate five years for completing an undergraduate degree. Students who wish to complete their undergraduate degree in four years should plan on completing at least fifteen (15) credits per semester, and are strongly advised to enroll in Winter Intersession or Summer Session courses if they elect to take a reduced program of study (12-14 credits) during the fall and spring semesters.

Minimum Cumulative Grade Point Average (GPA): To remain in academic good standing all students must maintain the minimum GPA according to the scale below.

Scale for Satisfactory Academic Standing

Full-Time Semesters Completed Minimum GPA Minimum Credit Hours Completed
End of 1st Semester 1.70* 12
End of 2nd Semester 1.80 24
End of 3rd Semester 1.90 36
End of 4th Semester 2.00 48
End of 5th Semester 2.00 60
End of 6th Semester 2.00 72
End of 7th Semester 2.00 84
End of 8th Semester 2.00 96
End of 9th Semester 2.00 108
End of 10th Semester 2.00 120

*Does not include semesters when a student has withdrawn for medical reasons.

*Transfer students will be considered to have completed one semester of full-time study for every 12 credits of posted transfer credit. For example a student who transfers 24 credits must have a GPA of 1.9 at the end of their first semester at the University to achieve Academic Good Standing. While part-time students do not have a rate of progress requirement they must meet the GPA requirement for full-time students based on the number of credit hours they have completed. For example, a part-time student who has completed between 24 and 35 credits would be expected to have a GPA of 1.80. A part-time student who has completed 48 credits would be expected to have a GPA of 2.0.


Dean’s List

Students who complete 12 or more credits per semester and earn a GPA of 3.4 or higher are placed on the Dean’s List that semester, provided that they have not received any of the following grades: F, I, or NP.

Students in the School of Continuing Education matriculating part-time who take 12 or more credits per year and earn a GPA of 3.4 or higher are placed on the Dean’s List in June, provided that they have not received any of the following grades: F, I, or NP.


Academic Sanctions

Academic Probation: Students who fail to meet the minimum requirements for either rate of progress or GPA are placed on probation for the one semester, fall or spring, immediately following an unsatisfactory academic performance. Probation formally warns students of the need to increase their focus on their academic programs and to take personal responsibility for addressing their deficiencies. Students with serious academic deficiencies are subject to suspension or dismissal without being first placed on probation.

First year students placed on probation at the end of their first academic semester at the University must participate in an academic probationary support program. All students placed on probation are directed to meet with their advisor at the start of the following semester to develop a plan to reestablish Academic Good Standing. Students on probation may not serve as officers in student clubs or student government, serve as resident assistants or participate in intercollegiate athletic competitions without the written permission of their academic dean. While probation may continue for more than one semester, probationary students who do not make adequate progress in addressing their deficiencies are subject to suspension or dismissal.

Academic Suspension: Academic Suspension is noted on students’ transcripts and are for one semester, either fall or spring. During the suspension period student may not live on campus or be registered for courses. Students are automatically suspended when they fail to meet Academic Good Standing requirements after a total of three semesters of probation beyond the freshman year. Students may also be suspended if they fail to make adequate progress in restoring their Academic Good Standing during a semester they are on probation.

Students are urged to use their suspension period to seriously examine their performance and to address any personal issues that have impeded their academic performance. If a suspended student elects to take courses at another institution, the student is advised to have these courses pre-approved by his or her academic dean.

Academic Dismissal: Academic Dismissal is noted on a students’ transcript and cannot be appealed. Students will be dismissed from the University if their GPA is below 1.4 after two semesters of full-time study or if their GPA is below 1.8 after four semesters of full-time study. Deans, in consultation with faculty members, may dismiss a student without first placing a student on suspension.

Determination of Sanctions and Notification

Determination of suspensions and dismissals are made by the academic deans in consultation with their school/college faculty members. Notification of suspension or dismissal occurs shortly after the end of an academic semester by e-mail using the students’ RWU e-mail address and immediately followed by an overnight mail delivery sent from the dean of each school/ college. Notifications of probation are sent shortly thereafter by standard USPS.

Appeal of Sanctions

Probation may be appealed only when students can document for their school dean there was an error in fact or if the completion of incomplete grades restored their Academic Good Standing.

Appeals of academic suspension or dismissal are heard by the University Academic Appeals Committee at a fixed time in the months of January and June. The committee is composed of school/college deans, a faculty member selected by the Academic Standards and Policies Committee of the Faculty Senate, and two representatives from the Student Affairs Division. A chair of the University Appeals Committee is appointed by the Provost. The Center for Student Academic Success is a resource students may use for suggestions to draft their appeal.

Appeals, either in writing or in person are heard by the committee. If an appeal is granted the student may return to the University, on probation. The University Academic Appeals Committee may stipulate individual performance requirements and restrictions for the next semester as a condition of granting an appeal. All decisions of the University Academic Appeals Committee are made on the day the appeal is heard or read. All decisions are final.

Annual FERPA Notification to Students

The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974, as amended (FERPA) is a federal law that gives students certain rights with respect to their education records. FERPA (1) permits eligible students to inspect their education records, (2) prohibits improper disclosure of personally identifiable information from education records without the student’s written consent, (3) provides eligible students with the opportunity to request inaccuracies in their education records be corrected, and (4) provides students the right to file a complaint with the U.S. Department of Education for any alleged FERPA compliance failures. Roger Williams University (RWU) complies with FERPA to the extent that FERPA applies to its activities.

Education Records

RWU routinely maintains records related to its students that describe and document their work and progress. These education records generally include items such as admissions records, enrollment status, course grades, reports and evaluations, completion of requirements and progress toward the degree, records of disciplinary actions, letters of recommendations, and other correspondence with or concerning the student. Education records also include personally identifiable information, such as the student’s name, student ID number, permanent and local addresses, and other indirect identifiers, such as date and place of birth.

Records about students made by professors and administrators for their own use and not shared are not considered education records subject to FERPA. Other examples of records that are not subject to FERPA include, but are not limited to, RWU Health Services records and RWU Department of Public Safety records maintained solely for treatment and law enforcement purposes, respectively.

Eligible Students

Any individual who is or has been in attendance at RWU constitutes an “eligible student” under FERPA. RWU defines attendance as a student who is officially registered for at least one class and that class has started. Accordingly, FERPA does not apply to unsuccessful applicants for admission to RWU, or to applicants who have been admitted but who have not actually been in attendance. RWU policy does not allow for the release of a deceased student’s records.

Right to Access Education Records

All eligible students have access to their own education records. To exercise your right to review and inspect your education records, send a written request to the official responsible for the records you wish to inspect. Contact the Registrar’s Office if you have questions about who the appropriate official is. RWU will make records subject to review available within 45 days.

[DISCRETIONARY (see §99.12): An eligible student is not permitted to review (1) the financial records of his or her parent(s), or (2) letters and statements of recommendation to which he or she waived his or her right of access or that were placed in his or her file before January 1, 1975.]

Right to Amend Education Records

Any eligible student may request to have records corrected that the student believes to be inaccurate, misleading, or otherwise in violation of his or her privacy rights. However, the FERPA amendment procedure may not be used to challenge a grade, an individual’s opinion, or a substantive decision made by RWU about a student.

Requests to amend a record should be made in writing and directed to the appropriate official. The student should clearly identify the part of the record the student wants changed, and specify why it should be changed. If the request is denied, RWU will notify the student of its decision and advise the student of his or her right to a hearing. Additional information regarding the hearing procedures will be provided to the student when notified of the right to a hearing.

Right to Limit Others’ Access to Education Records

RWU will seek a student’s written consent before disclosing personally identifiable information from the student’s education records to third parties, except to the extent that FERPA authorizes disclosure without consent.

Disclosure without a student’s prior written consent is permitted, for example, to RWU officials with legitimate educational interests. There is a legitimate educational interest if the official needs to review an education record to fulfill his or her professional responsibilities for RWU. Professional responsibilities may include instructional, supervisory, advisory, administrative, academic, research, staff support, or other duties in pursuit of an enterprise sanctioned by RWU. RWU officials who may access education records when they have legitimate educational interests include: faculty; administrators; staff; part-time employees; RWU Department of Public Safety personnel; RWU Health Services staff; members of the Board of Trustees; agents of RWU, such as volunteers or independent contractors performing functions on behalf of RWU; and students serving on an official RWU committee, or assisting another RWU official in performing his or her tasks for RWU under proper authorization.

A student’s education records may also be shared with parties outside RWU without obtaining prior written consent under certain conditions:

  • Officials of another school or institution in which the student seeks or intends to enroll or is already enrolled so long as disclosure is for purposes related to the student’s enrollment or transfer.
  • Authorized representatives of Federal, State, and local authorities in connection with an audit or evaluation of Federal or State supported education programs, or for the enforcement of or compliance with Federal legal requirements that relate to those programs.
  • In connection with a student’s application for, or receipt of, financial aid, to the extent necessary to determine eligibility, amount, conditions, or enforcement of the terms and conditions.
  • State or local officials or authorities to whom this information is specifically required to be reported by effective law.
  • Organizations conducting studies for or on behalf of RWU to develop, validate, or administer predictive tests; administer student aid programs; or improve instruction.
  • Accrediting organizations to carry out their accrediting functions.
  • Parents of a student who is a dependent for income tax purposes.
  • In response to a judicial order or lawfully issued s subpoena. If permitted, RWU will make a reasonable effort to notify the student(s) in advance of compliance.
  • Appropriate parties, including parents of an eligible student, in connection with a health or safety emergency if knowledge of the information is necessary to protect the health or safety of the student or other individuals.
  • A victim of an alleged perpetrator of a crime of violence or non-forcible sex offense. The disclosure may only include the final results of the disciplinary proceeding with respect to that alleged crime or offense (regardless of the finding).
  • The final results of a disciplinary proceeding may be disclosed where RWU determined the student is an alleged perpetrator of a crime of violence or non-forcible sex offense, and the student has committed a violation of RWU’s rules or policies with respect to the allegation made against him or her. The names of victims, witnesses, or other students will not be disclosed without the prior written consent of these other students.
  • Parents of a student regarding the student’s violation of any Federal, State, or local law, or of any RWU rule or policy, governing the use or possession of alcohol or a controlled substance if RWU determines the student committed a disciplinary violation and the student is under the age of 21.
  • Information RWU has designated as “directory information.”

Disclosure of Directory Information

Under FERPA, information designated as “directory information” may be made available to the general public without the student’s knowledge or consent, unless the student has advised RWU to the contrary in accordance with RWU procedures. RWU regards the following student information as directory information:

  • Full Name
  • Honors[, Fellowships,] and Awards Received
  • Dates and/or Verification of Attendance
  • Verification of Graduation and Degree(s) Received
  • Participation in Officially Recognized Activities and Sports
  • Weight and Height of Members of Athletic Teams
  • Most Recent Previous Educational Institution Attended
  • Local or Campus Residence Address and Telephone Number(s)
  • Classification
  • Photograph
  • University E-mail Address
  • Expected Date of Graduation
  • Degree Program
  • Major Area of Study
  • Enrollment Status
  • Reported Date of Birth
  • Prior Degree Information
  • Home Town or City at the Time the Application for Admission was Filed by the Student
  • Students’ and Parents’ or Guardians’ Home Addresses and Telephone Numbers

RWU will give annual public notice to students of the categories of information designated as directory information and will allow a reasonable period of time after such notice for any student to inform RWU that he or she wishes to withhold the information from being disclosed. Current students in attendance who do not want RWU to disclose any or all of their directory information must notify the Registrar’s Office in writing. Students who have previously chosen to put restrictions in place may decide to reverse this decision by also informing the Registrar’s Office in writing. The restriction will remain in place until the student requests for it to be removed. The request for non-disclosure does not prevent the disclosure of information to RWU officials with a legitimate educational interest or in the other circumstances listed in the prior section of this notification.

Right to File Complaint

Students have the right to file a complaint with the U.S. Department of Education concerning alleged failures by RWU to comply with the requirements of FERPA by writing to:

Family Policy Compliance Office
U.S. Department of Education
400 Maryland Avenue, SW
Washington, DC 20202