Special Academic Regulations
- Graduation GPA Requirement: In addition to meeting the overall University GPA of 2.0 required for graduation, students majoring in one of the areas offered by the Gabelli School of Business must earn a cumulative GPA of 2.0 in all Business Core courses and all courses taken in Accounting, Computer Information Systems, Economics, Finance, Management, and Marketing.
- Restrictions for non-majors and non-minors: Students who have not formally declared a major or minor in the Gabelli School of Business may only register for 100 or 200 level courses offered by the School. Exceptions to this restriction are made for students who have formally declared a major or minor which requires 300+ level business courses.
- Internal Transfer Policy: Students who are formally admitted to Roger Williams University, but who have declared a major other than one of the business majors (Accounting, Economics (BS), Finance, International Business, Management or Marketing) offered by the Gabelli School of Business or who have not yet declared a major are welcome to apply. You must be an enrolled Roger Williams University student in good academic standing to be eligible for transfer to the School of Business. The Gabelli School of Business has a selective internal transfer admission policy. A School faculty committee reviews each application for evidence of strong, consistent academic performance.
There are two admissions cycles each year as shown in the table below:
Applicants are encouraged to take the following courses prior to or during the semester they submit their application:
- MATH 141 - Finite Mathematics and/or MATH 124 - Basic Statistics
- WTNG 102 - How Writing Works
- BUSN 100 - Enterprise
- ECON 111 - Principles of Microeconomics and/or ECON 112 - Principles of Macroeconomics
- CIS 102 - Computer Applications in Business and/or CIS 105 - Data Analysis & Analytics with Excel
The Gabelli School accepts students with strong academic records and good recommendations, but may need to deny admission because of enrollment limitations: The school reserves the right to refuse admission to any applicant.
The admissions decision may be positive (admission granted), negative (admission denied), or, in a limited number of instances, recommend reapplication. In the case of a recommendation to reapply, the admissions decision letter will spell out the steps the applicant should take to reinforce his or her candidacy (e.g., take an additional business course or courses).
Application forms for transfer to a major in Accounting, Economics (BS), Finance, International Business, Management, or Marketing in the Gabelli School of Business are available in the Dean’s Suite, Room 109, School of Business, or online at the school’s web site.
Course of Study
The common requirements for graduation with the Bachelor of Science degree for all business majors include completion of the University Core requirements, the Business Core requirements and Electives as follows: